Agorize is a Paris-based startup building a SaaS product to allow big companies to make open-innovation challenges and connect them with millions of innovators around the world.
Owned features of both B2C and B2B products from end-to-end of the design process.
Built a design system to reduce inconsistencies across products, improve designers' workflow and the collaboration within the team.
Creating a Product Design System in Sketch
My journey on creating the first Product Design System at Agorize.
I joined Agorize in January 2017 to help them make their products more consistent, deliver new products and build a UX team.
A few weeks after I joined the team, another designer got hired, so I also needed to find ways to collaborate and deliver world-class products together.
After weeks of discussions and research, I realized a Design System would solve the majority of our problems.
We had several problems such as:
• inconsistencies across products
• inefficient workflow — designers would often do low-value repetitive tasks
• lack of organization and process
• no knowledge sharing across the team or the company
• bad collaboration with engineering
Here's what my process looked like:
• research about design systems
• talking with other designers working design systems to make sure I take the right decisions
• working with front-end engineering to have a better understanding of our UI
• creating a design system backlog to list tasks and manage priorities
• UI inventory — examining our products to specifiy every components and particularities
• designing or redesigning every components
• creating a shared library
• wtiting a documentation, including guidelines, best practices, ressources...
• creating a shared living style guide
— Read my Medium article to learn more about my process
Building this design system — or at least the first bricks — has been very useful for Agorize and the product team.
There is a huge progress on the knowledge sharing — the team can easily refers to the System when doubting, or a new designer can easily understand how to design Agorize products by checking the design library and the documentation.
There is algo a significant progress on the productivity and workflow of individuals. Designers now work better, and faster. They also collaborate better than before. The evolution of the industry has helped us a lot — Sketch Libraries and other design systems tools got released while I was working on the DS, the timing was perfect.
Here are some features I designed using our design system.